Wednesday, June 22, 2011

HP DV6 laptop heat issues

My Dad has an HP DV6-1238nr laptop. It gets really hot and if playing a flash game for 30 minutes or so, the display will go blank and you have to reboot. I did some research on the internet and it turns out other people are having this issue too with various HP DV model laptops. Some people experience it without even running a game.
The issue can be traced to poor design of the cooling system and more specifically, the GPU is over heating. Based on my research, I will attempt to remedy the problem by replacing the thermal compound with fresh, good quality thermal compound as well as put a copper shim on top of the GPU between the heat sink and thermal compound. I have ordered the copper shim and will try this out as soon as it arrives.
I'll post back with the results!

Updated: The copper shim did not help. See my updated post here

No comments: